Google Analytics

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Multiple Sclerosis, Vision Problems, and Glasses That Don't Work

What a long days this has been. I think my eyes are going to explode? OK, that's just a tad mellow dramatic, how about my eyes are bothering me? I think it's my glasses, not my eyes, I fell for do you want anti-glare on the lenses, it's no extra charge? Sure, anti-glare all around. I've only worn glasses for a year, went in to get readers, left with trifocals that I can't figure out, plus that anti-glare crap is wearing off, making it look like scratches on the lenses. After a year, now I'm aware I need them, and they don't work!

This actually isn't the first time I've worn glasses, twice before I got try out that look. Unusual to outgrow needing glasses you say? Not really, and I am apt to be rather unusual! The first time I wore specs was for a bad case of Strabismus, that's cross eyes to you lay people. I was 3, my loving family still makes reference to how goofy I looked, the memories of childhood. After that problem corrected, when I was like 13 or so, I watched my uncle using a welding torch without eye protection, burned my retinas or something along those lines. I'm not sure if it was the same uncle that shot me in the forehead with a BB gun or not?

I've had frequent bouts of optic neuritis, but not for a while. I need to have my eyes checked by someone who deals with MS club members, I'm not sure if there are other issues with vision I need to be aware of. I know double vision is possible, and I have to admit, I'm not sure what that means? When things are out of focus, things appear double, at least they do to me? Anyway, I went to a regular ophthalmologist, but he didn't have anything for me, except trifocals with an anti-glare coating!

9 comments:

Webster said...

I had that anti-glare coating put on once - never again! It got scratched up so quickly I barely could see! I feel your pain about glasses/ON/multi-focals though. I haven't been to an eye Dr. for four years! It's on my to-do list for summer.

Watch your step, now! And thanks for stopping by HaltStopForgetRelax!

Miss Jackie's Favorites said...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find an eye doctor who has worked with MS patients? As you know, I worked in the eye field for quite a while but it was quite different from your issues. I'd be curious to see what ideas your "blog buddies" have since they always seem to come up with such great information!

awb said...

Webster-I'm with you, never again on that coating. I'm due to go have my eyes checked anyway, so I'll what they can do about the coating.

Sitting here writing this, the wire along the bottom of the lens broke, and the lens popped out onto the keyboard! Is that a sign?

Glad you stopped in too Webster, hope to see ya again!

awb

awb said...

Jack, my glasses broke! I need you to take off work and come and fix this for me! I can't see! Ok, I have my old reading glasses, I think I may live through this?

Libby said...

andy..."I'm not sure if it was the same uncle that shot me in the forehead with a BB gun or not?" ahhh, the ol' william tell trick, no doubt...
i don't know about an eye dr that deals with ms specifically, but that's a definite lucrative job opening here! my last ms dr at the cleveland clinic said that i have optic neuritis, and when she moved her finger side-to-side and had me watch it, she can actually SEE my eyeballs jumping up & down while my head was still! so basically, my problem with my eyes is that each eye sees something a millisecond different in time. oh, the joys of ms...never a dull moment...

awb said...

Hey Libby,
No William tell, I was out in the back of their business shooting windows out of cars, he told me to stop. I fired a volley up to the building, he jumped out and fired one shot, from the hip, hitting me in the face! I can't complain, he did warn me.

I go and ask about my eyes and they say, huh! Do you think it's the MS?

froggysoprano said...

Maybe a doctor who is willing to listen could help. The one I used to go to in Towson was great. He kept my mother from having surgery and really helped her when others didn't do much more than prescribe new glasses. If you want I'll give you his name. He might have retired. My eye is giving me a fit today. The laser probably did the job but it is uncomfortable. I might just be jealous if you get more attention than I.

awb said...

That guy through me out 25 years ago, on York Rd, right? Just like Libby said above, my eye kept jumping during the horizontal gaze nystagmus test, he told me there was nothing he could do, and never told me what it was.

Anonymous said...

I have had tinted glasses for years and they work very well.