Google Analytics

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Multiple Sclerosis And Breathing, The In Laws Into a Retirement Village

This breathing thing is a real pain in the rear, not really sure how to explain it?  I'm going along doing the breathing thing and BAM, I gasp for air, usually making some pretty attractive and snorting sounds.  I've talked to the neuro, they don't seem very sure what it is, but said we should look into, ya think?  My concern with it is it's happening about 30 or more times a day, but all single episodes, meaning no back to back snorts.  I will add it to my list of things to ask when Medicare kicks in July 1st.

The issues with the in laws is pretty much decided, both moved into the local old folks home, he in an apartment, she in the nursing home part.  It cost a fortune, about $350 G's, plus $12,000 a month, but that's not the worst part, the toll it's taken on the father in law has been tough to watch.  Sure, she's the one with the medical issues, but she's not always aware of it, he is.  He's lost a ton of weight, cries all the time, and is second guessing everything he does.  Times like this I wish I had in laws I hated, would make this part much easier.

4 comments:

Karen said...

We just moved my FIL into a retirement home. It was a difficult adjustment for him. But now 4 months later he likes it, has lots of friends and wished he had moved in sooner. Maybe your FIL will be less stressed now that there is someone to look after his wife. In time, he could really benefit from this new living arrangement.

Muffie said...

I know how difficult it can be to move your parents into a "home," but I can attest to the fact that they really are better cared for than at home. I hope your FIL adjusts without too much trauma.
Peace,
Muff

Diane J Standiford said...

I live in one of those old folk's homes. His reaction is not unusual. I agree with the others, it will get easier for him...or not. It is a time in life that sux PERIOD. Wishing you only the best my friend.

awb said...

Karen - Agreed, the long term security was how the decision was ultimately made.

Muff - He's tough, we know he can do it!

Diane - I'm entitled to call it an old folks home, in a couple of years when I'm old enough to move in it will become a sprawling retirement mecca!

awb