Google Analytics

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Multiple Sclerosis, Family, Friends, and The Power of Laughter

I was blog surfing today and came across some pretty good ones. Everything from food, sports, lifestyles, and always health in general, with a special interest in MS. I go on a regular basis to a food guy that makes me laugh, and his food reviews have been right on. Some of the health ones make me feel bad when I piss and moan about being tired, or it was hard opening a can, then I see ones about people with cancer or aids. They are doing the same thing I am, venting, but they have more to complain about. I was on one today that the woman is newly diagnosed with MS and struggling with it.

I remember that one! I went and cried for a few hours at my one aunt and uncle's house for a while, then went home and told the wife. That would have been tough enough, but she was 5 months pregnant with our first, the college girl! I also told a few of the guys at work, but I sat on it past there. If people didn't know, it wasn't real, you can't argue with that kind of logic! As need be, I enlarged the circle, let more people in on the top secret news. It was very hush, hush, need to know, have to kill you if I told you type thing. It's been so long now I am actually shocked to run across people that know me, even not that well, that don't know all of my top secrets.

I told the woman who had the blog today that we use humor to get through the days, but I didn't tell her how that changed over the decades. In the beginning it was a very small group that could pull it off. My feelings got hurt regularly, but it was good for me. Everyone in the MS club should have the benefit of spending some time with the guys from work, or my family! Nothing is out of bounds, everything is fair game, and nothing is too hard to talk about, or laugh about. I was telling the woman today she needed at least one person to laugh at all this with. I was going to tell her a horse walked into a bar, and the bartender said, "why the long face?" I just wasn't sure if that was appropriate!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what we would do without laughter in our house. You would think that we would be sitting around crying all day - but what will that do to help you? Now don't get me wrong, we have our crying times and you need those times (so do I!) but the laughter is wonderful! I love you so much for that! Ok - there's a man, a horse and a pig.......Hey - I got that one right! I did didn't I? Or was it a man a horse and a waitress....I know that's wrong! Whatever!! Just keep my laughing and we will get through anything!!

Anonymous said...

Laughter really IS the best medicine :O)

I have a whole site dedicated to Laughter for MS, pop in some time and have a look at Squiffy's House Of Fun - Laugh For MS - http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/ it is under a rework at present so there are some new and some old pages, but I think you will enjoy ;O)

squiffs ;o)

awb said...

Thanks to the wife for her anonymous support, and to my new friend Squiffy, if that's your real name?

Anonymous said...

Could anonymous be anyone else? I don't think so. You have a lot of people in your corner. It is just that you live in a round house. Go figure. Love ya!

Slammermike said...

Boy now I thought the people at work were just kind caring sensitive people. Always serious!!!

I thought that was very evident the time we did the wheel chair hokey pokey.

You put your left wheel in......

You put your left wheel out.....

awb said...

I was thinking more the arguments of who I would ride with so they could use my handicapped tag. Still brings a tear to my eye, the good one!

Anonymous said...

>>>>Thanks to the wife for her anonymous support, and to my new friend Squiffy, if that's your real name?

Hi awb :O)

Squiffy is my Internet net ;O) My real name is John Habkirk, I am webmaster for the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre here in the UK - http://www.msrc.co.uk :O)

The House Of Fun is my fund-raising site for the MSRC :O)

squiffs:O)

awb said...

Gee Whiz Squiffy, you just proved I'm not funny, on 2 continents! Ya gotta admit though, the horse joke was funny, come on, give it to me!

Anonymous said...

Your sense of humor has always, always been what makes us all get through the worst of times. But your sense of humor is not your best medicine - your incredible wife is.

awb said...

You are telling the wrong person, I knew that from the first time I saw her, unlike you. I can't remember what you called her that first time at the football game, but it wasn't nice!

Slammermike said...

At least when bowling we never put your name up on the screen in the team handicap box

awb said...

That's only because you just thought of it! I do remember the one golf tournament, years ago, the guy asked what our team cap was and you all pointed at me! I think I need a hug now?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the hose joke made me laugh :O)

How about this one...

Christmas Surprise

Imagine my surprise, as I was getting the decorations down, I found a Christmas present from last year on top of the wardrobe.

The kids were all excited as I opened the box.

Shame it was a puppy.

squiffs ;o)